Archive for May, 2012
Like half the population I was born female, with the same desires to learn and grow to my full potential as my male counterparts. Why is it then that so many religious men believe that the intelligent mind that created the universe is a male god who chose to create the female of the species explicitly to be ruled over and subject to the capricious whims of men? Many Christians believe that the plan of God from the beginning was to set up a hierarchical order which places the man in complete control and ownership of the lives of half the population. Supposedly these men have nowhere near the intelligence of their god, yet this god chose to cater to their more aggressive and dominating nature by handing over to them the well being of the female gender, which is on par with a parent giving their young son complete rule and authority over his sister. Men, who don’t give a second thought about fulfilling their own desires, somehow feel that women who have those same desires should be denied them according to “the man’s discretion.”
The vast majority of the 2 billion plus Christians on the planet today would say that slavery is wrong, even though it was condoned in the Old Testament; the same goes for stoning people for adultery which was commanded by God, yet somehow the subjugation of women still persists in the minds of fundamentalist men today as being part of the biblegod’s order. Many Christian men, who would reject slavery and stoning outright, see no problem whatsoever with depriving women of equal human rights. It makes a rational person wonder if these men aren’t just picking and choosing those things which they can get away with. The Old and New Testaments are fraught with human rights violations that are condemned by most modern Christians, yet there is no such condemnation of the secondary status that many women continue to be subjected to in the Church. It is time for Christians to open their eyes to the great disparity that is being taught, and call it what it is – “A human rights violation.”
Here is a list of the Declaration of Sentiments composed by Elizabeth Cady Stanton, as presented at the first women’s rights convention at Seneca Falls, NY. If one looks over these statements carefully it can be concluded that these “denied rights” are for the most part drawn directly from the Bible.
- He has never permitted her to exercise her inalienable right to the elective franchise.
- He has compelled her to submit to laws, in the formation of which she had no voice.
- He has withheld from her rights which are given to the most ignorant and degraded men – both natives and foreigners.
- Having deprived her of this first right as a citizen, the elective franchise, thereby leaving her without representation in the halls of legislation, he has oppressed her on all sides.
- He has made her, if married, in the eye of the law, civilly dead.
- He has taken from her all right in property, even to the wages she earns.
- He has made her morally, an irresponsible being, as she can commit many crimes with impunity, provided they be done in the presence of her husband. In the covenant of marriage, she is compelled to promise obedience to her husband, he becoming, to all intents and purposes, her master – the law giving him power to deprive her of her liberty, and to administer chastisement.
- He has so framed the laws of divorce, as to what shall be the proper causes of divorce, in case of separation, to whom the guardianship of the children shall be given; as to be wholly regardless of the happiness of the women – the law, in all cases, going upon a false supposition of the supremacy of a man, and giving all power into his hands.
- After depriving her of all rights as a married woman, if single and the owner of property, he has taxed her to support a government which recognizes her only when her property can be made profitable to it.
- He has monopolized nearly all the profitable employments, and from those she is permitted to follow, she receives but a scanty remuneration.
- He closes against her all the avenues to wealth and distinction, which he considers most honorable to himself. As a teacher of theology, medicine, or law, she is not known.
- He has denied her the facilities for obtaining a thorough education – all colleges being closed against her.
- He allows her in church, as well as State, but a subordinate position, claiming Apostolic authority for her exclusion from the ministry, and, with some exceptions, from any public participation in the affairs of the Church.
- He has created a false public sentiment by giving to the world a different code of morals for men and women, by which moral delinquencies which exclude women from society, are not only tolerated but deemed of little account in man.
- He has usurped the prerogative of Jehovah himself, claiming it as his right to assign for her a sphere of action, when that belongs to her conscience and her God.
- He has endeavored, in every way that he could to destroy her confidence in her own powers, to lessen her self-respect, and to make her willing to lead a dependent and abject life.
The Bibles promotion of sexism is one of histories greatest long term injustices, which has caused untold suffering for women at the hands of men who believed they were carrying out the will of the biblegod.
Excellent talk on TED by Sheryl WuDunn author of Half the Sky. Our century’s greatest injustice is the discrimination of women by men! It’s time men stop abusing their mothers, wives, sisters and daughters and realize women are humans deserving equal rights just like them.
The topic I would like to explore in this article is the biblical method of capital punishment by stoning. In the Old Testament and into the New the method of punishment for a crime decreed worthy of death by Yahweh was stoning… this method was never condemned by Jesus. The first point I want to raise about stoning is one of causing people excessive suffering, when there are more humane ways of carrying out a punishment. The method of stoning a person to death is an extremely painful and slow process of death, yet this was the decreed method given by Yahweh…a good example in the New Testament is the stoning of Stephen carried out by the Jews. Why would Yahweh wish to submit people to such a gruesome method of death when there were much more humane ways of dealing with a capital crime, like the sword for example? So, the question must be asked, is it immoral to kill a person in a tortuous, barbaric manner for purposes of punishment when other methods would be more humane? Do we today consider it immoral and uncivilized to stone people to death as is spoken of in the Bible (and is still done in Muslim countries)? Of course we do! So, if it’s not acceptable now, why is it acceptable in the Bible?
Secondly, the crimes that were considered capital offenses by Yahweh worthy of stoning were things like picking up sticks on the Sabbath and adultery. Can you imagine stoning someone for picking up sticks, or adultery, what kind of a god would decree a punishment like that? Not a loving god that’s for sure. Imagine stoning your child for picking up a toy that you told him not to!
In the New Testament we see Jesus intervening in the case of “stoning of the women caught in adultery,” which according to the laws of Yahweh was perfectly legitimate. So, did Jesus consider stoning to be an immoral act? It appears that he did not approve of it or else he would not have prevented it from happening by saying “he that is without sin cast the first stone,” and “go and sin no more”. So was Jesus going against the laws of his father, Yahweh? It appears so. According to the laws Yahweh gave in the Torah, if a person was caught in adultery the punishment was death by stoning and it matters not whether the people throwing the stones were sinful because they were carrying out Yahweh’s decree.
It’s time to speak out about the things the Bible contains that are immoral, and if those acts of immorality fall at the feet of Yahweh, so be it. Stoning a person is immoral, and wrong for any reason!
Have you ever noticed how it is always women who are barren in Scripture, not once in the entire Bible is infertility ever attributed to the male? It’s a proven fact that up to 50% of infertility is attributed to the male, so if Yahweh created humans then he was well aware of this fact, yet why is it in the Bible that infertility is always laid at the feet of the woman? Even if primitive man believed that all infertility was because a woman was barren it does not mean Yahweh should have agreed with them and supported the idea. Yahweh could have easily informed ignorant humans on the nature of reproduction, instead he led men to believe that they were the carriers of little Homunculus (sperm containing a complete individual human) in their loins, which directly led to the belief that women were only the soil which grew the Homunculus.
Gen.46:26 All the souls that came with Jacob into Egypt, which came out of his loins, besides Jacob’s sons’ wives, all the souls were threescore and six;
Exo.1:5 And all the souls that came out of the loins of Jacob were seventy souls: for Joseph was in Egypt already.
2Chron.6:9 Notwithstanding thou shalt not build the house; but thy son which shall come forth out of thy loins, he shall build the house for my name.
Heb.7:5 And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham:
Heb.7:10 For he was yet in the loins of his father, when Melchisedec met him.
According to the Bible it is Yahweh who causes women to be barren, and it is Yahweh who opens their wombs when he so desires to show his power. It seems that Yahweh is solely the cause of a woman’s infertility and it never has anything to do with a man. When Yahweh decides to open a woman’s womb she gets pregnant with the Homunculus from the man, otherwise she remains barren.
Gen. 11:30 But Sarai was barren; she had no child.
Gen.21:1-2 And the LORD visited Sarah as he had said, and the LORD did unto Sarah as he had spoken. For Sarah conceived, and bare Abraham a son in his old age, at the set time of which God had spoken to him.
Gen.20:18 For the LORD had fast closed up all the wombs of the house of Abimelech, because of Sarah Abraham’s wife.
Gen. 25:21 And Isaac intreated the LORD for his wife, because she was barren: and the LORD was intreated of him, and Rebekah his wife conceived.
Gen.29:31 And when the LORD saw that Leah was hated, he opened her womb: but Rachel was barren.
Gen.30:22 And God remembered Rachel, and God hearkened to her, and opened her womb.
1Sam.1:5 But unto Hannah he gave a worthy portion; for he loved Hannah: but the LORD had shut up her womb. And her adversary also provoked her sore, for to make her fret, because the LORD had shut up her womb…11 And she vowed a vow, and said, O LORD of hosts, if thou wilt indeed look on the affliction of thine handmaid, and remember me, and not forget thine handmaid, but wilt give unto thine handmaid a man child, then I will give him unto the LORD all the days of his life, and there shall no razor come upon his head.
Judges 13:2-3 And there was a certain man of Zorah, of the family of the Danites, whose name was Manoah; and his wife was barren, and bare not. And the angel of the LORD appeared unto the woman, and said unto her, Behold now, thou art barren, and bearest not: but thou shalt conceive, and bear a son.
Isaiah 66:9 Shall I bring to the birth, and not cause to bring forth? saith the LORD: shall I cause to bring forth, and shut the womb? saith thy God.
Hosea 9:14-16 Give them, O LORD: what wilt thou give? give them a miscarrying womb and dry breasts…Ephraim is smitten, their root is dried up, they shall bear no fruit: yea, though they bring forth, yet will I slay even the beloved fruit of their womb.
Luke 1:7 & 36 And they had no child, because that Elisabeth was barren, and they both were now well stricken in years…And, behold, thy cousin Elisabeth, she hath also conceived a son in her old age: and this is the sixth month with her, who was called barren.