- I challenge anyone, to find me a girl/woman who would not want the choice of whether or not to get an education.
- I challenge anyone, to find me a girl/woman who would not want to choose IF or WHOM she marries.
- I challenge anyone, to find me a girl/woman who would not want to choose IF and WHEN she has children.
- I challenge anyone, to find me a girl/woman who would not choose to have control over her own body.
- I challenge anyone, to find me a girl/woman who would not say that women’s rights are human rights.
- I challenge anyone, to find me a girl/woman who would not want to decide whether or not she is genitally mutilated?
Of course this is a challenge that no one will take, because there are no women to be found that do not want the freedom to make their own choices about what is done to their bodies. The same freedoms that are afforded men in every country on this planet are denied women in a large percentage of them…this is beyond unacceptable, it is outrageous in the extreme. How did our world get into such a condition as to deny half the population equal human rights? Why would any man ever think that his humanity is somehow deserving of more freedoms and that his gender gives him rights over another persons body? Has the intelligence of men become so twisted, as to think it is reasonable to assume that half the population, which brings forth the life of the other half, is somehow inferior?
While it is girls and women who are denied the rights to schools of education, it is men who are in desperate need of being educated in the area of equal human rights. The challenge women face is not only to gain empowerment, but also to educate men on what human rights mean…after all, we all belong to the same team…the human race!
Here is the thing. It is men who rape. It is men who protect and defend the men who rape. It is men who badger and bully and force women and abused children not to report the chief, priest, sangoma, uncle or other relative who has committed this crime.
The problem therefore lies with men. That is where our efforts should now be directed. Over and above some serious legal action – strengthening the police’s domestic violence, child protection and sexual offences units, plus special rape courts with properly trained prosecutors – we need wholesale re-education of men. ~ Justice Malala
Oppression of women is rampant in most of the religions of the world, it is time for men and women to stand up and expose these human rights violations wherever they are found.